As most of you know, the SD card is a tiny memory card used for extra storage on almost any Android device. As useful as it is, the SD cards may stop working sometimes or may become quite cluttered. In those situations, it may become necessary for you to format SD card in your Android device.
Also, if you are thinking of re-selling your Android device or giving away your SD card to someone you know then you most probably don’t want your information to go with it. In those cases, formatting the SD card in Android is quite helpful. So, no matter what the reason is, if you ever want to format SD card then you actually don't have to have access to your computer, you can just use your Android device.
In case you are wondering, here is how to format SD card in Android.
Note: before proceeding to format SD card in Android, make sure that you have a good backup of the contents on the SD card. This is because all the data will be lost when you format the SD card.
1. Format SD Card in Android - Manual method
- Open your Android Menu and then tap on the Settings icon. This action will take you to the Android settings screen.
- Here, scroll down and tap on the "Storage and USB" option.
- This action will show you the information like your total SD card space, your available free space, etc.
- Here, tap on your external SD card to open it. Once opened, click on the menu icon (three vertical dots) appearing on the top-right corner and select the option "Settings."
- The above action will open the SD card options. Here, tap on the Format option and confirm your action on the next screen.
- That's all there is to do, you've successfully formatted the SD card in your Android device.
2. Format SD Card in Android - Using an Android app
- Go to PlayStore and then download and install the Erase SD Card app.
- The app the pretty simple and straightforward. As soon as you open the app, it gives you the option to erase the data on your SD card with a single click.
- The good thing about this app is that it supports formatting the SD card as an internal and external storage. If you don't know what the internal and external storage is then select the option "External Storage."
- There will be no backup of the data, everything will be erased permanently as you as you tap of the "Erase SD Card" button.
So now you can be free of worries even if your SD card stops working. Just follow the steps mentioned above and your SD card will be ready to be used again.
Hope you found this guide useful. Let me know your feedback in the comments section below.